Thursday 24 May 2012

Hey there, bookworms!

Reading is probably my favourite thing to do, I always have a book on the go, sometimes more than one. Without one I feel naked and weird. I love reading mostly because it transports you to other worlds, lets you make friends and takes you on the wildest adventures. Ever since I was little I've read a lot. I can't help myself, I'll read over peoples' shoulders, I'll cast sideways glances on the train, something about a book just draws my attention. Knowing that in those pages covered with small black enscriptions is a world to be discovered, I can't resist.

So, I thought, why not make a bookclub for my fellow bookworms? I've come across some great books, it'd be a shame not to share them. I'll tell you some of my favourite books, so you can get a feeling for the type of things you might find here in the future. I'd say my two all-time favourite novels are Glen David Gold's Carter Beats the Devil, a fictionalised biography of the great magician Charles Carter and I also love Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov, which is a story I'm sure most people are sort of familiar with. My most current reads are The Transformation of Bartholomew Fortuno by Ellen Bryson, an intruiging and exciting read about life as a self-made circus-freak working for the famous P.T. Barnum, and part one and two of 1Q84 by Haruki Marukami, who is quickly becoming my favourite writer.

I'll probably do more recommendations than just reviews, I tend to shy away from books that I feel just won't interest me. I hate giving up on books, but if it just feels like too much hard work I'm going to have to move on to something else. There's too many good reads and too little time to read them all! For my first review/recommendation: City Under the Moon by Hugh Sterbakov, a thrilling tale of werewolves in modern day Manhattan.

No comments:

Post a Comment